Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Necklace That Tells a Story

Jewelry making is fun! It's especially fun for me when the piece ends up telling a story, like this one.  I bought 14 of these large medallions (the base, swirly, silver part) at the Long Beach Flea Market several years ago.  I purchased them to incorporate into a wall hanging project I was teaching at the time.  I had one left and decided to make it into a necklace.  The Paris tag came from the Paris Flea Market when I visited a couple years ago.  

The really cool thing is that when the medallion is flipped over, it reads Allison!  That's my Grandparents family name.  I couldn't believe that I hadn't noticed this before.  The weird thing is, my grandmother was on my mind so much this morning, then I decided to dig through my jewelry bits and bobs and found this piece.  I was very pleasantly surprised!

I also made this piece for a Dear One who can always use a little reminder to "focus."  Haha... well, she loved it.  Reminders to breathe, staying focused and living in the moment are all very important words to live by. 

This one doesn't look like much in the photo but it's really cool on.  Short in length, sweet and simple. 

What are you making today?  

12 comments:

BlueRidgeLady said...

Love them all Holly!! You are inspiring me to drag the beads out! Your blog is such a beautiful place to escape to!

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Holly,
You do such beautiful work.
Thank you so much for sharing and also for your most welcome visit and kind note.
fondly,
Penny

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

It's been forever since I've had time to sit down and go through my fave blogs! You have been creating up a storm! Love it! Great professional photos, Holly! Especially like the one of you and Phoebe where it looks like you're giving her a treat, so sweet!!

I'll try not to be so long in visiting next time but no promises!!! LOL

xoxo

Mari said...

Holly they are all beautiful ;)

Hugs~
Mari

Shirley said...

These are beautiful. I love to find old charms, buttons etc., I am currently attaching some of mine to a crazy quilt.
kind regards,
Shirley

A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie said...

Hi Holly,

Thanks bunches for stopping by my blog, GirlWhimsy, today. You're comment was sweet to read & I'm hoping you stop back again soon! Love your blog! Have a fabulous evening, my sweet!

http://girlwhimsy.blogspot.com

Red Rose Alley said...

Holly,
This necklace is beautiful, and I love the story behind it. It's nice when we have things that remind us of our loved ones. The necklace is so unique, I really like it.

Love,
~Sheri

"Create Beauty" said...

All so lovely! I love jewelry with special meaning.....

I hope you'll stop back by and see the dog's latest antics : )

~ Violet

koralee said...

Wow....these are amazing. YOu really are talented. I do love the last one...thank you for visiting me the other day.

Julie Marie said...

Hello Holly... and thanks so much for visiting me today... love all your pretty necklaces... and how priceless that the piece had your grandparents name on it... and that your thoughts were of your grandmother today... things happen for a reason... I believe your grandmother was right there with you... always in your thoughts and forever in your heart... xoxo Julie Marie

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Holly,
love the story behind your gorgeous necklace.TFS. Have a great week.
Hugs to you & Phoebe,
Marie

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Your jewelry has so many interesting details! You do beautiful work.