Friday, August 30, 2013

Visual Art Journaling "Selfie" Style!

When I was in my late 20's, I had a dear friend who would often say that "we are all getting older."  I think she was about 30 at the time.  I remember thinking that we were all still so young and I wasn't going to "get older" any time soon!  Well, I was right... but fast forward all these years and I'm feeling it!  However, along with getting older comes great life experiences and wisdom and I wouldn't want to go back.  I'm happy where I am.  I think the interesting part is still feeling young inside, then looking in that trusty mirror which reminds me that I am indeed not in my 20's anymore.

I recently bought a hand held photo scanner and have been scanning decades of photos to store digitally.  Looking through all the photos of myself in my 20's, I looked so young.... I WAS so young!  I decided to start documenting my life now by taking "selfies" so that when I'm much older I can look back and say... Wow... I looked so young!  Great idea huh?

I've also been taking these selfies and incorporating them into my visual journal book.  In the past I have mostly been drawn to other subjects such as fashion or interesting photographic images for my collaging/visual journaling so it's been an interesting process to work with one's own image.  I think my project is actually a great way to discover self-love and embrace one's imperfections.  How often do we really look into our own eyes, except in the mirror looking back?  Taking meaningful self-portraits then utilizing them in pieces of art pays a great tribute to oneself.  You should try it.  And please let me know if you do.

And by the way, did any of you participate in the 21-Day Meditation Challenge by Oprah and Deepak?  I was traveling through a large portion of it but was able to do some of the meditations.  I believe infusing positive affirmations in one's life is answer.  Whether you do it through journaling (which is extremely meditative to me) or some other process.

Artists, what are you working on today?









Thanks for stopping by.

Have a fantastic day!

5 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

I love your pages! So photogenic you are Holly!!

Bianca Louise said...

This is such a beautiful idea. I didn't get a chance to participate in the Oprah/Deepak challenge but I'm off to Indonesia to spend three weeks on my own and plan to take part in my own kind of challenge xx

Find me on bloglovin:
www.bloglovin.com/binkachu

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a great idea! Isn't it funny, how at the time we think we look old or fat and then we look back and think darn I looked good then lol!

Carol

June said...

Well my dearest Holly---you have gorgeous eyes that's for sure. I think you have inspired me to do a few selfys myself. I love your beautiful pages. I love your attitude about aging and agree that I would never want to go back to my younger years unless I could take all of this 'self growth' with me. I do know that if I could go back, I would want to really live my life and appreciate it more. I LOVE where I am right now and I can tell you feel the same way.
have a wonderful weekend beautiful friend!
hugs..

Createology said...

This is a wonderful project and one that will reward you through many years as we travel our journey called life. Love your pages and your beautiful self! Creative Bliss Dear...